As you can probably guess from the title this is going to be a ranty post… Skip this if you don’t want a headache from the whiny blind girl 😉
1. Calling my cane a stick.
It is made from metal, and painted white, why on earth do people insist on calling it a stick?
2. Avoiding any vocabulary that involves using words such as see, watch, read or look.
Just because i’m blind doesn’t mean the language I talk has suddenly changed… “Can I have a look?
“Don’t you mean feel?”
And breathe Sassy*
3. Blind people who encourage this – I was listening to the TV last night…
You’re endorsing the overuse of being politically correct. Just stop it!
4. People tagging me in pictures on Facebook, and NOT telling me what the picture is…
It’s even worse when it’s a worded picture, and all VoiceOver says is “Image”
5. Leaving a room/ walking away and not telling me.
Yes I love the sound of my own voice, but that doesn’t mean I will get any feedback from the walls!
6. Moving things and not telling me.
I’ve always had OCD tendencies, everything has a place, so if you move something in my house without asking me first, you’ve just given me a good 10 minutes of searching!
7. Similarly, if i’ve made you a cup of tea, and you’ve finished it, please put your cup in the kitchen next to the sink, i’ll have forgotten about it and won’t remember until i’ve washed all the dishes and poured the water away that I made you tea 3 hours ago!
8. Walking into me head on…
I know you just have to send that “lol” text instantaneously because let’s face it, your friend won’t believe you found it funny if you send it more than a minute after you read it. But whilst you’re in phone land, i’m trying to keep in a straight line and get to my destination unscathed. Get your face out of your phone and pay attention to what’s around you!
9. Hand rails that don’t start/ stop at the beginning or end of the stairs.
I hold on to the handrail to let me follow the steps, but also to hold myself up, my balance is terrible, and when the handrail suddenly finishes but theres still 3 steps left… Total heart in mouth moment; I swear i’ve nearly broken my neck several times!
10. Stickers on fruit.
They are tiny, and mould to the shape of the fruit, i’ve eaten the sticker at least twice, but more often i’ve felt it in my mouth and removed it at the last second.It’s certainly not the end of the world, but I felt like an utter moron! So can we all agree to get rid of these little blighters?
If you hadn’t guessed already, I like a good moan, so i’ll stop here for now 😛
Any irritations or pet peeves that get on your nerves?
Leave me a comment below 🙂
Much love, Sassy x